Have you ever heard of evening primrose oil? Do you know all its properties and benefits? Do you know how to use it? In this article, we will show you all the effects that evening primrose oil provides for the skin and reveal each of its secrets. You will surely be surprised!
You have probably heard about it more than once. The truth is that evening primrose oil is one of the best known for its long list of beneficial properties for the skin. There are even some who call it 'the woman's oil' for its exceptional effects on the female body. We tell you all about this ingredient so that you learn all of its properties and uses.
What is evening primrose oil?
Evening primrose oil is extracted from the seed of a plant known as Oenothera biennis, originating in North America.
It consists of a natural remedy used especially to treat skin inflammations, although, as we will see below, it has many other functions thanks to its excellent properties.
How is it obtained?
This substance is obtained through a cold pressing process of evening primrose seeds. These seeds stand out for their high content of essential fatty acids.
Essential acids are substances indispensable for the body. We can obtain them through the ingestion of certain foods or supplements since the body is not capable of producing them on its own.
The importance of essential fatty acids is due to their participation in a multitude of processes and their role in regulating metabolism.
If we have a deficiency of this substance, we may suffer from certain problems such as dry and cracked skin, inflammations, low immune defenses, etc.
What are the properties of evening primrose oil?
The properties of evening primrose oil are as follows:
- Soothing and softening
Benefits of evening primrose oil for the skin
Let's see what are the benefits of evening primrose oil on the skin,
- It fights acne problems and causes fewer pimples to appear.
- It improves eczema problems.
- It prevents the appearance of wrinkles and other signs of aging, so it serves to prevent aging.
- It contributes to cell regeneration thanks to its moisturizing power and high vitamin E content. Our cells will be healthier, and the complexion will be firm, smooth, and with great luminosity.
- It relieves the symptoms of itching and redness, so it is a relief in cases of psoriasis.
- It fights the dreaded free radicals and reduces the visibility of pigmentation spots on the skin.
- It is also a very effective treatment for smoothing dark circles under the eyes.
- It has healing power.
Other benefits of evening primrose oil
In addition to all the positive effects we have seen above, evening primrose oil offers a number of other benefits:
- It is very effective in combating migraines.
- It is used during menstruation to regulate it in a natural way.
- It relieves hot flashes during menopause.
- It has an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Reduces cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- It slows the progression of arteriosclerosis and prevents the formation of thrombi or clots.
- Helps to reduce high blood pressure.
- It can be used together with shampoo to reduce dandruff on the scalp.
- Repairs damaged nails.
Uses of evening primrose oil in cosmetics
Many cosmetic brands have opted to introduce evening primrose extracts in their skin creams due to the ability of this substance to moisturize, improve irregularities such as acne and reduce inflammation.
In addition, as we have seen above, it is a very effective ingredient to prevent the appearance of wrinkles and expression lines, which is why it is used in anti-aging lotions.
Why is it known as women's oil?
Did you know that it is popularly known as "the women's plant"? This does not mean that men cannot benefit from the oil of these seeds, but it is true that its effects are closely linked to the female sex.
Due to its gamma-linoleic content, it promotes the formation of molecules responsible for reducing inflammation, which is why there is a tendency to consume it during menstruation.
It is also used during menopause due to its richness in phytoestrogens. In addition, pregnant women often take it to reduce preeclampsia, i.e. chronic high blood pressure.
Evening primrose oil and pregnancy
The consumption of this substance during pregnancy has generated a great deal of controversy. There are no firm studies that ensure its toxicity at this stage.
In any case, if you are pregnant and have decided to consume evening primrose oil, it is ideal that you go to your doctor for proper advice.
There is also no evidence that it helps to improve fertility. Keep in mind that during pregnancy, skin care becomes even more important.
Is its intake fattening?
When mentioning that it is rich in essential fatty acids, many people think its intake can lead to weight gain.
This is a big mistake. The Omega 6s present in this oil does not promote weight gain. In fact, foods high in these essential fatty acids help us feel more satiated and are great allies in weight loss diets.
It is essential to differentiate between this type of fat and saturated fats.
Now that you know all the benefits and properties of evening primrose oil for the skin and the body, are you ready to give it a try?